Dental Inlays and Onlays in Edinburgh
Are you looking for a reliable solution to restore your damaged or decayed teeth? Our dental inlays and onlays offer a conservative and effective approach to renewing your smile. With our skilled dental professionals and state-of-the-art techniques, we provide custom-made restorations that fit seamlessly into your natural teeth, preserving their strength and function.
Book An Appointment
Who Needs Dental Inlays and Onlays?
Dental inlays and onlays are recommended for individuals who:
- Have moderate to severe tooth decay that cannot be treated with a filling.
- Have damaged or fractured teeth, especially in the cusps (pointed chewing surfaces).
- Seek a conservative restorative option that preserves more of the natural tooth structure compared to dental crowns.
- Want a durable and long-lasting solution to restore the strength and function of their teeth.
- Prefer a restoration that blends seamlessly with their natural teeth, offering both aesthetic and functional benefits.
- Desire to avoid or delay more extensive dental procedures like crowns or extractions.
The Benefits of Inlays and Onlays
Dental inlays and onlays offer a range of benefits, making them a popular choice for individuals in need of tooth restoration. Here are the key advantages:
- Conservative Approach: Inlays and onlays are minimally invasive restorations that allow dentists to preserve more of the natural tooth structure compared to crowns, which require more extensive tooth removal.
- Precision Fit: These restorations are custom-made to fit precisely into the prepared tooth, ensuring a snug and seamless fit that prevents bacteria from entering and causing further decay.
- Strength and Durability: Inlays and onlays are crafted from durable materials like porcelain or composite resin, providing long-lasting strength and resistance to wear and tear.
- Aesthetically Pleasing: These restorations can be matched to the natural colour of your teeth, blending seamlessly with your smile and providing an aesthetically pleasing result.
- Tooth Preservation: By reinforcing and stabilising damaged or weakened teeth, inlays and onlays help prevent further deterioration and the need for more extensive dental work.
- Comfortable Chewing: Restored teeth with inlays and onlays regain their functionality, allowing for comfortable chewing and biting.
- Low Maintenance: Inlays and onlays are easy to maintain with regular oral hygiene practices, such as brushing and flossing, and routine dental check-ups.
- Reduced Sensitivity: These restorations can help reduce tooth sensitivity caused by damaged or decayed teeth.
- Long-Term Solution: When properly cared for, dental inlays and onlays can last for many years, providing a reliable and cost-effective solution for tooth restoration.
- Preservation of Healthy Tooth Structure: By preserving healthy tooth structure, inlays and onlays contribute to overall oral health and help maintain proper tooth alignment.
- Minimised Risk of Future Dental Issues: Inlays and onlays seal the treated tooth effectively, reducing the risk of bacterial infiltration and the need for additional dental procedures.
- Customisation: Inlays and onlays are customised to match the size, shape, and colour of your natural teeth, ensuring a harmonious and natural appearance.
The procedure for dental inlays and onlays involves several steps to restore a damaged or decayed tooth conservatively and effectively. Here’s an overview:
- Examination and Diagnosis: The process begins with a thorough dental examination, including X-rays, to assess the extent of tooth damage or decay. Our dentist determines whether an inlay or onlay is the most suitable treatment.
- Anaesthesia: Local anaesthesia is administered to ensure the patient’s comfort and a pain-free experience during the procedure.
- Tooth Preparation: The dentist removes the damaged or decayed portion of the tooth, creating a clean and stable foundation for the restoration. Unlike fillings, which are placed directly in the prepared cavity, inlays and onlays require more extensive tooth preparation.
- Impression: An impression of the prepared tooth is taken using dental putty or digital scanning technology. This impression serves as a precise mould for creating the custom inlay or onlay.
- Temporary Restoration: While the custom restoration is being fabricated in a dental laboratory, a temporary filling or restoration is placed to protect the tooth.
- Custom Fabrication: Skilled dental technicians craft the inlay or onlay from high-quality materials such as porcelain, composite resin, or gold. The chosen material depends on factors like aesthetics and durability.
- Fitting and Bonding: Once the custom restoration is ready, the temporary filling is removed, and the inlay or onlay is carefully fitted and bonded to the prepared tooth. The dentist ensures a precise fit and checks the bite to ensure proper alignment.
- Polishing and Final Adjustments: The restoration is polished to match the natural sheen of the adjacent teeth. Any final adjustments are made to ensure a comfortable and functional bite.
- Evaluation: The dentist assesses the restoration’s appearance and functionality, making any necessary refinements.
Why Choose Abbeymount Dental Care for Inlays and Onlays?
When it comes to dental inlays and onlays, Abbeymount Dental Care in Edinburgh stands out as your ideal choice. Our dedicated team of dental professionals combines expertise with a patient-centric approach to deliver exceptional results. We take pride in using cutting-edge techniques and high-quality materials to craft custom-made restorations that seamlessly blend with your natural teeth, ensuring both strength and aesthetics.
At Abbeymount Dental Care, your comfort and well-being are our top priorities. With a commitment to conservative and effective dental solutions, we provide a welcoming environment where you can experience the highest standards of care. Book your appointment with us today and discover why we are the trusted choice for dental inlays and onlays in Edinburgh.
What Our Patients Say
Our Location in Edinburgh
📍We are conveniently located at 22 Brunton Place, Edinburgh, EH7 5EJ. Reaching us is straightforward, whether by car or public transportation.📍