The abutment placement phase is one of the most important steps in the dental implant process. Let’s take a closer look at what happens during this phase and what you can expect.
The abutment is the part that connects the implant to the crown, and its placement is a critical step in the dental implant process. Let’s see what the abutment placement phase of dental implants entails.
What is an Abutment?
An abutment is a small connector piece that links the dental implant to the crown. It is usually made of titanium or zirconia and is designed to fit snugly onto the implant post. The abutment is placed onto the implant during a second surgical procedure once the implant has fully integrated into the jawbone.
Steps Involved in Abutment Placement
- Exposing the Implant – Before the abutment can be placed, our dentist will need to expose the top of the implant. This may involve making a small incision in the gum tissue or removing the healing cap that was placed over the implant during the healing period.
- Selecting the Abutment – Once the implant is exposed, the dentist will select the appropriate abutment based on the shape and size of the implant and the position of the tooth being replaced. The abutment will be attached to the implant post using a small screw.
- Placement of the Abutment – The dentist will carefully place the abutment onto the implant post and ensure that it fits securely. Once in place, the abutment will be tightened down to ensure a snug fit and prevent any movement.
- Impression – After the abutment is placed, the dentist will take an impression of the abutment and surrounding teeth to create a mold that will be used to create the final crown.
- Temporary Crown – In some cases, a temporary crown may be placed on the abutment to protect it while the permanent crown is being created. This is usually done when the implant is in a visible location in the mouth.
- Final Crown – Once the final crown is created, it will be attached to the abutment using dental cement or a screw. The crown will be carefully adjusted to ensure a comfortable fit and natural appearance.
Factors Affecting Abutment Placement
Several factors can affect the success of abutment placement, including:
- Implant Position – The position of the implant in the jawbone can affect the placement and angle of the abutment. If the implant is not in the correct position, it may be necessary to reposition it or use a custom abutment to ensure a proper fit.
- Gum Tissue – The thickness and health of the gum tissue surrounding the implant can also affect abutment placement. If the gum tissue is too thin or too thick, it may be necessary to adjust the abutment placement to ensure a proper fit and optimal aesthetics.
- Type of Abutment – There are several types of abutments available, including stock, custom, and angled abutments. The type of abutment used will depend on the specific needs of the patient and the position of the implant.
Risks and Complications of Abutment Placement
As with any surgical procedure, abutment placement carries some risks and potential complications, including:
- Infection at the implant site
- Nerve damage
- Damage to surrounding teeth or structures
- Abutment loosening or breakage
Our dentist will discuss these risks with you, and you will have to carefully follow all post-operative instructions to minimise the risk of complications.
Why Choose Abbeymount Dental for Dental Implants?
When it comes to dental implants, Abbeymount Dental Care stands out as a top choice. We will help you choose the most suitable type of dental implants based on your unique dental conditions. Our commitment to providing exceptional care and outstanding results makes us a trusted name in the field. What sets us apart is our team of highly skilled professionals, including our renowned implantologist, Omar Al Latif, who brings over 25 years of expertise to our practice. With a personalised approach, Omar and our team understand the unique needs of each patient, ensuring that every dental implant procedure is a success. From the moment you step into our clinic, you’ll experience a warm and friendly environment where your comfort and satisfaction are our priorities. Choose Abbeymount Dental Care for dental implants, and let us restore your smile with precision, care, and the expertise of Omar Al Latif.
What Our Patients Say
Our Location in Edinburgh
📍We are conveniently located at 22 Brunton Place, Edinburgh, EH7 5EJ. Reaching us is straightforward, whether by car or public transportation.📍
Book Your Free Consultation