The implant placement phase is one of the most important steps in the dental implant process. Let’s take a closer look at what happens during the implant placement phase and what you can expect.
What is Implant Placement?
Implant placement is the process of surgically inserting dental implants into your jawbone. The dental implant is a small, screw-shaped post made of biocompatible materials, such as titanium or zirconia, that is designed to serve as a replacement for the missing tooth root. Once the implant is placed in the jawbone, it fuses with the surrounding bone tissue in a process called osseointegration. This process typically takes several months and is crucial for ensuring the stability and durability of the implant.
Steps Involved in Implant Placement
- Preparation – Before the implant placement procedure, our dentist will prepare the area by numbing the surrounding tissues with local anesthesia. In some cases, sedation or general anesthesia may be used to help you feel more comfortable during the procedure.
- Incision – The dentist will make a small incision in the gum tissue at the site where the implant will be placed. The size and location of the incision will depend on the specific needs of the patient and the type of implant being used.
- Placement of Implant – The dentist will use specialised tools to create a small hole in the jawbone and carefully place the implant into the hole. Once the implant is in place, the dentist will stitch the incision closed and cover it with a protective dressing.
- Healing Period – After the implant is placed, a healing period is required to allow osseointegration to occur. During this period, it is important to follow our dentist’s instructions for post-operative care, such as avoiding hard or crunchy foods, keeping the area clean, and taking any prescribed medications.
- Follow-up Visits – We will schedule follow-up visits to monitor your healing process and ensure that the implant is integrating properly with the surrounding bone tissue.
Factors Affecting Implant Placement
Several factors can affect the success of your implant placement, including:
- Bone Density – The density and quality of your jawbone are important factors in determining whether an implant can be placed successfully. If the jawbone is not dense enough, a bone graft may be necessary to build up the bone tissue and provide a stable base for the implant.
- Oral Health – Good oral health is essential for successful implant placement. Gum disease and other oral health problems can interfere with the healing process and increase the risk of implant failure.
- Location – The location of the implant in the mouth can also affect the success of the placement. Implants placed in the front of the mouth, for example, may require more careful placement to ensure optimal aesthetics and function.
- Type of Implant – There are several types of dental implants available, and the type of implant used can also affect the success of the placement. We will consider your specific needs and the characteristics of each type of implant to determine the best option for you.
Risks and Complications of Implant Placement
Like any surgical procedure, implant placement carries some risks and potential complications, including:
- Infection at the implant site
- Nerve damage
- Damage to surrounding teeth or structures
- Implant failure or rejection
Our dentist will discuss these risks with you. You have to carefully follow all post-operative instructions to minimise the risk of complications.
Why Choose Abbeymount Dental for Dental Implants?
When it comes to dental implants, Abbeymount Dental Care stands out as a top choice. We will help you choose the most suitable type of dental implants based on your unique dental conditions. Our commitment to providing exceptional care and outstanding results makes us a trusted name in the field. What sets us apart is our team of highly skilled professionals, including our renowned implantologist, Omar Al Latif, who brings over 25 years of expertise to our practice. With a personalised approach, Omar and our team understand the unique needs of each patient, ensuring that every dental implant procedure is a success. From the moment you step into our clinic, you’ll experience a warm and friendly environment where your comfort and satisfaction are our priorities. Choose Abbeymount Dental Care for dental implants, and let us restore your smile with precision, care, and the expertise of Omar Al Latif.
What Our Patients Say
Our Location in Edinburgh
📍We are conveniently located at 22 Brunton Place, Edinburgh, EH7 5EJ. Reaching us is straightforward, whether by car or public transportation.📍
Book Your Free Consultation