When you lose teeth, it’s not just your smile that is affected. Missing teeth can also have a significant impact on your ability to speak clearly. The good news is that dental implants can help to restore your speech, as well as your smile. Let’s look at how dental implants can help improve speaking problems caused by missing teeth, and what you can expect from the implant process.
How Missing Teeth Affect Speech
When you speak, your teeth and tongue work together to form sounds. Missing teeth can affect this process in a number of ways:
- Pronunciation – Teeth help to shape the sounds that we make, so missing teeth can cause certain sounds to be distorted or difficult to pronounce. For example, the “s” and “th” sounds require the tongue to press against the teeth, so missing teeth can make it hard to produce these sounds clearly.
- Whistling – Gaps between teeth can cause air to pass through when you speak, leading to a whistling sound.
- Lisping – Missing front teeth can cause a lisp, where the tongue protrudes through the gap when pronouncing certain sounds.
- Slurring – When teeth are missing, the tongue has to work harder to compensate, which can lead to slurred speech.
How Dental Implants Can Help
Dental implants are a popular option for replacing missing teeth because they provide a natural-looking and permanent solution. Implants consist of a titanium post that is inserted into the jawbone and a dental crown that is attached to the post. The crown is custom-made to match your existing teeth, so it blends in seamlessly with your smile.
Dental implants can help to improve speech in a number of ways:
- Restoring Teeth – By replacing missing teeth with dental implants, you can restore the proper alignment of your teeth and tongue. This can help to improve your pronunciation and eliminate any whistling or lisping sounds.
- Stabilising Dentures – If you have dentures that slip or move around when you speak, dental implants can help to stabilise them. Implants can be used to anchor dentures in place, which can help to improve your speech and confidence.
- Improving Jawbone Health – When you lose teeth, the jawbone can start to deteriorate over time. This can lead to changes in the shape of your jaw, which can affect your speech. Dental implants help to stimulate the jawbone, which can prevent bone loss and maintain the shape of your jaw.
Why Choose Abbeymount Dental for Dental Implants?
When it comes to dental implants, Abbeymount Dental Care stands out as a top choice. Our commitment to providing exceptional care and outstanding results makes us a trusted name in the field. What sets us apart is our team of highly skilled professionals, including our renowned implantologist, Omar Al Latif, who brings over 25 years of expertise to our practice. With a personalised approach, Omar and our team understand the unique needs of each patient, ensuring that every dental implant procedure is a success. From the moment you step into our clinic, you’ll experience a warm and friendly environment where your comfort and satisfaction are our priorities. Choose Abbeymount Dental Care for dental implants, and let us restore your smile with precision, care, and the expertise of Omar Al Latif.
What Our Patients Say
Our Location in Edinburgh
📍We are conveniently located at 22 Brunton Place, Edinburgh, EH7 5EJ. Reaching us is straightforward, whether by car or public transportation.📍
Book Your Free Consultation